On April 6, 2023, the Biden administration has released a statement that outlines the key decisions and challenges surrounding the U.S. withdrawal from Afghanistan. This 12-page PDF covers the time period from when President Biden took office to the aftermath of the disastrous and chaotic withdrawal that was completed on August 31, 2021.
- Background and President Biden
- Decision to Leave
- Planning for the Withdrawal
- Warning about Potential Evacuation
- Triggering the Evacuation
- The Evacuation and the Attack at Abbey Gate
- Keeping our Promise to American Citizens and Afghan Partners
- Rebuilding Long-Term Capacity
- Putting the United States on Stronger Footing
U.S. Withdrawal from Afghanistan, The White House, April 6, 2023, PDF, 12 pages.
Photo: U.S. Marines from the Special Purpose Marine Air-Ground Task Force – Crisis Response Central Command provide security during the Kabul NEO on August 20, 2021. (Photo by Lance Cpl Nicholas Guevara).