The Special Inspector General for Afghanistan Reconstruction (SIGAR) quarterly report to Congress (April 2022) has been posted online. Although the United States has withdrawn from Afghanistan, it still provides humanitarian aid through the United Nations and other humanitarian organizations.
The report covers several topics to include:
- Audits by SIGAR
- Lessons Learned
- Investigations by SIGAR
- Oversight Activities
- Security and Governance
- Economic and Social Development
Some significant developments that occurred during this reporting period and in this report include:
- Taliban extending its ban on Afghan girls attending secondary schools
- Decline in security incidents since Taliban takeover
- Taliban continue to tighten their grip on Afghanistan
- Islamic State Khorasan Province continues attacks
- Restrictions on Afghan media continue
- Humanitarian crisis – economy, food, poverty level
SIGAR Quarterly Report to Congress, April 30, 2022, PDF, 175 pages.
Photo: USAID Food for Afghanistan, photo by World Food Program/Afghanistan.